Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Star is Born!

For those of you that might not have known, I took a Story Telling course this semester. Little did I know before I enrolled that it would turn out to be a drama/acting class. It was very intense because I had to add characterization, movement, emotion, tone, voice, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Plus, I had to memorize my scripts. That was the hard part. I have never had so much trouble trying to get something down to memory! Ugg!

Let's just say that it was a loooooooooooooong semester.

Anyways, I decided to upload the videos on YouTube and show them to the world. Keep in mind to be nice to the actress, since she has had little experience in acting.



This first video was suppose to be a 1 to 2 minute performance on a randomly chosen Cultural Tale. It's called the Christmas of the Animals and it was a folk tale from New Mexico. My particular story was not random because I traded with another classmate that didn't want to do it. I was allowed to call "Line" if I didn't know the next line and I did so twice. I got a "B" for this performance and was told to slow it down. But how could have I slowed down if I went over the time allowed??!!



This second video is of my second performance. It was suppose to be 3 to 4 minutes on a Children's Story of our choice, and I decided to do Disney's Alice in Wonderland (Yes, this is how obsessed I am with it). It went well. I got another "B" on this one because I still went too fast and called "Line" twice. Overall, it was fun to do, and I can't believe I got the courage to do it. Well, I had to do it. I didn't really have a choice.

Now I had one more performance, which I did today. I won't be able to get the video for this one because the semester is practically over. I take my final exam for this class next Thursday, but let me tell you a little about it.

The theme for the third and final performance was about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots. We all chose a person/script based off that person's experience during or after the riots. I first picked a Korean woman that got her store looted, but I traded my story for a different one. I ended up playing Katie Miller. She was a very angry African American woman that felt like expressing her views based off who the blame was meant to be placed on and how Paul Moyer was a jerk (loosely summarized... if you know what I mean...) . I felt like I did it well. I called "Line" twice, and the class seemed to be very happy with it, including the professor because she was psyching me out before I even entered the class for not being in total character (e.i. She said, "Hello Katie Miller." I said, "Hello," but in not in character...). I also went under time. This performance was to be 5 to 6 minutes and the grace period was 4:30 to 6:15 and I did about 4:2o something. It's bugging me a bit because I'm going to lose points for the time and for calling "Line," but it's over. Aww well!

That all for this post. I'll be posting on the Kelley Armstrong signing by tomorrow (Friday). Until then, take care dolls!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jess!!! I am so proud of you! Ive been wanting to get a blog started and I have just fallen lazy to just about anything. But you inspired me to get it done ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad I was able to inspire you to start a blog. It's a great way to express yourself when people just don't like to listen to your rambling. Or at least that's how I see it cause I can talk up a storm! Tee hee! Let me know when you start it so that I can comment back!

    ReplyDelete